Monday, May 7, 2018

In print

Friends, I'm proud to announce that another one of my scientific papers has been published. This paper has been a long time in the making. I collected the data during my PhD, way back in the summers of 2014 and 2015. I built moorings from concrete blocks, attached fouling panels to them, and deployed them off of the Oregon coast to see what would grow. I had high expectations, but the project was plagued by misfortune. I struggled with seasickness every time I went out on the boat to visit my moorings. Cancelled or delayed trips meant my blocks stayed out much longer than I intended. Even after all the trouble I went through in deployment and recovery, my panels were pretty much just colonized by barnacles. It was disappointing data.

I really struggled with the analysis. None of my hypotheses proved to be correct, and it felt like nothing in the project could go right. But things started to turn around when I talked to an oceanographer at WHOI. Together, we realized that the patterns in barnacle recruitment that I observed were influenced by the flow of water around my study sites. It was a slow process, but my project started to turn around.

Eventually, that oceanographer and I wrote a paper about our findings. It was reviewed and accepted by the journal Estuarine, Coastal, and Shelf Science. At long last, I get to see my work in print! You can download the PDF here: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0272771417303773

No comments:

Post a Comment