The roadtrip: Part 8

Falmouth, Massachusetts

The Manhattan skyline, seen from New Jersey
I have arrived! For the last day of the cross-country drive, my parents and I set off from Maryland and headed northeast. We cut across southern Pennsylvania and New Jersey. It was beautiful, hilly country, and the closer we got to New Jersey, the less my mom could resist using her imitation  Jersey accent. Oh my goodness. So entertaining.

The highlight of the day was definitely going through New York. Believe it or not, the best route to Massachusetts took us straight through New York City - the Bronx, to be exact. None of us had ever been to NYC before, so seeing the big city was very exciting. We actually got a great view of the Manhattan skyline as we approached the city from the New Jersey side of the Hudson river.

Falmouth on a sign!
After New York, we headed through Connecticut and Rhode Island. We crossed numerous bays and rivers in both states, enjoying lovely views along the way. The closer we got to Massachusetts, the more excited I became. There's just something special about seeing the name of your destination city on a sign for the first time. I also loved seeing signs for "The islands" (Nantucket and Martha's Vineyard).

Now that I'm on Cape Cod, I'm very excited to settle in and get to know the area around me. It has been a journey of 3,642 miles, but I am finally in my new home!

Comments