The grafted tree

Ohio

I'm on my parents' couch right now, listening to my mom and sister pore over a box of my great grandfather's belongings. I'd be over there too, but Mom already showed me the box in August. My dad is at the kitchen table behind me, looking something up on his laptop. My sister's fiancé is upstairs.

Ah, it's good to be in Ohio.

All of us at trivia night
I told you I'd be spending some time in the Midwest before settling in Masschusetts, and that's exactly what I'm doing now. It worked out for Kendra and Seth to visit Ohio while I was in limbo, so I wanted to make sure I was here and could see them. They live in Michigan and don't make the trip south very often - this is actually their first time at the house in Ohio. It's been fun for me to tag along as Mom showed them the town. Mom is so enthusiastic and knowledgeable - we joked that she could record her voice and sell copies of a guided driving tour of Ohio.

Of course we had to stop by the local pub for trivia night while Kendra and Seth were in town. It was a fun time, but we didn't do very well, coming in 8th place overall. Just not our night.

It feels like an eternity since I've done any science, but my defense was really only two months ago. I'll be back in the game soon enough. For now, I'm enjoying my time in the Midwest. My family tree has a newly-grafted branch, and I'm happy to see it grow.

Comments