Massive addictive

"Give me purity, strength, and affection
Give me lust to ignite my devotion for life
It's where beauty comes alive...
Massive addictive
I'm totally completely afflicted"
- "Massive Addictive" by Amaranthe

After my committee meeting last week, I left main campus thinking about what makes me unique as a scientist. The committee charged me with the task of deciding what I want to be known for, so as I drove back to Coos Bay, I set the tone for my ponderings with the most unique music I could think of - Amaranthe's Massive Addictive album - blasting from my stereo.

I like Amaranthe because their style is a distinctive blend of heavy metal and electronica, but the two contrasting elements don't just exist side by side; they are seamlessly fused into something entirely new. As I look forward and begin to shape my thesis, my challenge is largely the same: to fuse two different traditions into something entirely new and unique.

I'm starting with the introduction. I spent yesterday re-reading my old notebooks to review everything I knew about island biogeography and the deep sea. (Incidentally, I discovered my notebooks also contained several hilarious old notes to myself.) As I fill in the skeleton of my paper, I'll certainly have to read more publications, so I'm looking forward to the process of reading, learning, assimilating, and writing a meaningful review.

As I see my own ideas take shape into a unique thesis framework, let me tell you, it's massively addictive, and I'm having trouble leaving the lab at night. I'm very excited to see my thesis take shape and grow into a coherent body of work. By the time I'm finished, I will have a masterpiece to show the world.

Comments