Full Circle




Dear friends, it's taken a while, but I am proud to bring you the final movement of my Arctic violin concerto, entitled “Full Circle.” The concerto has a total of 6 movements, all named after places I’ve seen or experiences I’ve had in the Arctic since I started going there in 2011.

This piece is about my favorite place on Earth. It’s about mountains and about valleys; it’s about plateaus and rivers and fjords. It’s about polar bears and northern lights, sea ice and glaciers. It’s about every day the sun doesn’t set, and every day the sun doesn’t rise.

This piece is about international community at the top of the world. It’s about the work I’ve already accomplished and the discoveries I have yet to make. It’s about my weary eyes, my pounding heart, my chilled fingertips, chapped lips, and lungs blasted clean by the cold. It’s about life. It’s about home. It’s about everything that makes me come alive.

I hope this music helps you feel what I feel.

As always, I recommend you turn up your bass or use well-isolated headphones to make sure you hear the cello part. Listen to the movements in order at the links below:

I. Longyearbyen                          Blog link           YouTube link
II. Molloy                                    Blog link           YouTube link
III. Midnight Sun                        Blog link           YouTube link
IV. Kongsfjorden                        Blog link           YouTube link
V. The encroaching darkness      Blog link           YouTube link
VI. Full circle                              This post            YouTube link

Comments