Dinner party

New life goal: live somewhere with a large enough kitchen and dining room that I can host dinner parties on a regular basis.

Ever since the Atlantis cruise this summer, my fellow OIMBers that participated in the cruise have been talking about getting together for a post-cruise gathering. We grew to be friends while at sea and wanted to spend time together without the pressure of a Sentry sample hanging over our heads. Well, after the cruise, we all parted ways, so the first time we were all in town and able to get together was this week.

I ended up hosting the gathering, since I'm one of the only cruise participants with her own apartment. It was a lot of work, but I really didn't mind - I love being a hostess. Whenever someone comes over to my place, I encourage them to look around. Absolutely every decoration in my apartment is meant to be a conversation starter, and many of them originated in the far corners of the world. I love it when guests ask me questions. Granted, my apartment is small and definitely not designed for large parties (I didn't even have enough chairs for our crowd of 8), but we made do. My living room was crowded and full of warm-hearted people.

It was nice to see the relationships that had formed among the cruise participants. I know all of them a lot better now than before the cruise; that's for sure. We got caught up with each other's lives, our projects, the progress of our theses. We talked about our plans for the future, about applying for jobs and applying for visas and where in the world we'll find the funding for our dreams. Some of us will be moving away pretty soon, so it was nice to have everyone together, maybe for the last time. It was a great evening.

Comments