The apprentice

Science is one of very few fields in which a true apprenticeship program survives. If you don't believe me, think about it: graduate students undertake both practical and theoretical training under the direct mentorship of a master. We earn a little money but are not allowed true independence until we graduate. Sometimes, we even work alone late at night and end up making broomsticks dance. We are apprentices in every sense of the word.

Recently, Andrew has been having me help him prepare for a research cruise. I had never worked with the specialized equipment we'll be using at sea, so he's teaching me how to care for it and use it - better now than later on the ship.

An onlooker wouldn't think I'm actually doing much - just carrying heavy black cases between IRIS buildings or listening quietly while Andrew explains something. In reality, I'm absorbing everything. I'm learning how to use the equipment in a specific sense but also learning how to prepare and pack for a research cruise in a general sense. I've already been to sea multiple times, but the preparations Andrew is undertaking now are on a larger scale than I've ever been responsible for. I've only ever had to send a few boxes of gear ahead to a ship; this time, Andrew's sending a whole shipping container.

It's nice to work on some very practical problems, like testing batteries and packing cases. I've spent so much time recently on my data analysis that doing something else for an hour or two is a welcome change. Actually, the contrast between practical field work and theoretical data analysis is probably my favorite thing about science. I regularly have to shift gears and use all parts of my brain.

I'm thankful to have Andrew as an adviser and a mentor because I'm learning a lot from him. In fact, I've had multiple fantastic scientific mentors who have shaped me and taught me in various ways. I'm happy to be an apprentice for now, but I look forward to someday becoming a master.

Comments