Lysefjorden

After a fantastic and enlightening week at work, I had a visitor for the weekend! My friend, Ann-Kristin, came to Stavanger from Oslo, where she is studying. Ann-Kristin and I met in 2012 when I was living in Bremerhaven, Germany. When she noticed on Facebook that I was back in Europe and living in Norway, she wrote me a message to say she was in Oslo and that we should meet up. It was great to have a German friend around and to show off my new city!

We took a sightseeing tour through Lysefjorden, just east of Stavanger. Lysefjorden is incredibly long and thin, and it's famous for its steep-sided rock walls. The most famous rock formation in Lysefjorden is known as Preikestolen (Pulpit Rock). I thought this was quite a weird name, but after seeing the square rock formation poised high above the fjord, I'll tell you it actually looks like a pulpit! Along the way, we saw countless spectacular fjord views, quaint homes nestled in the rugged landscape, and even a waterfall! Check out my pictures below.

Norwegian skies never cease to amaze me.

Ann-Kristin and I on the Lysefjorden tour

Lysefjorden is incredibly steep-sided and narrow.

Preikestolen (Pulpit Rock)

Preikestolen (Pulpit Rock) actually sits 604 m above the water.

Hengjanefossen Waterfall, Lysefjorden

Comments