Two steps forward

The course of science is far from linear, but I'm sure that most of you know that already. When I met with Andrew today to continue work on our image analysis dataset, we ended up re-hashing and refining most of our ideas. I think we ended up in a better place than when we began, but it still means I'll have to spend a little extra time with the images. No problem - that's science.

I'm significantly excited about this project, and now that we have a clear plan, I'm honestly tempted to stay up all night working on it. I've always been one to race head-long toward a goal. I am frustrated by tangents, and I despise distractions. I want to move forward, straight ahead, no stopping. One thing I've learned from Andrew so far is the value of moving a bit slower, of thinking about each step as I go along. Andrew is really good at brainstorming, and he's not afraid to play with a data set until he notices something interesting. He pursues meaningful tangents that may or may not pan out, and he spends a good chunk of time just thinking quietly.

My science would probably be improved by taking a bit more time to think before I act. Even though our image analysis has turned sideways and changed shape now, it also became more refined, so I count that as progress.

The course of my projects in Norway so far has left me seeking an appropriate metaphor for the scientific process. The standard two-steps-forward-one-step-back paradigm is far too one-dimensional to reflect reality, so I refer you to a classic Monty Python sketch. Slowly but surely, with twists, back-steps, and unexpected falls, we move forward. See for yourself: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqhlQfXUk7w

Comments