I think I'm going to like it here

Landing in Stavanger was an experience I’ll never forget. We spent the last half hour flying over unbelievably rugged terrain at the very southern tip of Norway. I was astounded that even among the rippling mountains, jagged cliffs, and numerous fjords, there were houses – and not just a few! My utmost respect goes to those Norwegians inhabiting an area I would be hesitant to drive an ATV through.

We soon reached an area of flatter farm land, I could see a city emerging in the distance. I’m not sure if it was for show or practical reasons, but the pilot banked a dramatic 360° turn that gave me a breath-taking view of my new home. I love living in places with interesting landscapes, and Stavanger is definitely one of 
them!

The facade of my house in Stavanger.
I went straight from the airport to my apartment, and quickly discovered that my house is even cooler than I ever expected. I’m renting a single bedroom in a 150-year-old house that I share with 16 other people. For such a densely populated dwelling, the house is surprisingly clean and quiet. We have a strict cleaning schedule and more than enough bathroom and kitchen space to accommodate everyone. Most of my housemates are from various parts of Scandinavia, and I’m definitely going to have to work on some of their names!

I have yet to explore all of downtown Stavanger, but for today, I’m smiling at the small details of European life that make me happy: lack of screens on the windows, lack of top sheets on the beds, the ubiquity of cobblestone streets, and the availability of sliced gouda cheese in the grocery store. Oh! My local grocery store also has a self-service bread-slicing machine!


Life in Stavanger is good so far. I think I’m going to like it here. 

Comments